Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Egypt








Well, here we are finished another adventure. After reading my last posting I realized that I must be careful of what I say, as it may come true. In Cairo we WERE hit by a car while riding in a cab, fortunately we were not on our bikes and neither one of us were hurt. Another unlucky incident was the major repairs that I had to do on my bike when I unwrapped it from our last flight.

Repair #1: Cracked back tire rim = new tire rim, hub bearing and spokes.

Repair #2: Damaged casing for ball-bearings in my handlebars = hours of trying to find a replacement in Cairo. After not finding the correct replacement, two more hours spent on repacking the casing myself....not good times.

Repair #3: Another torn cable shroud = easy repair.

We ended up spending about a week in Cairo with the repairs, Chinese visa issues, flight bookings and sightseeing. After a week's rest we were more than excited to get back on the road. The excitement didn't last long and after our first day of riding I was beginning to think we're crazy. Who in their right minds cycle through a desert with temperatures reaching 50C unshaded? We were tempted to take the easy way out and bus it down to Sharm El Sheikh but decided it wouldn't be true to our trip. So we ended up having 4am wake-ups and riding as much as possible before noon.

It was well worth it, for Sharm El Sheikh has excellent diving and the time here has been great! We're off to Ethiopia next and are looking forward to 15C and more adventure.




No comments: