Thursday, January 31, 2008

Argentina






The last couple of days have been difficult. We cycled another ass-bruising 177km day (I have no idea how we hit the same record number twice), and then yesterday was a big 125km day with 40C blazing heat. Last night I made the mistake of going for a few "cervazas" as well as a $1.50 meal consisting of 2 "mystery" meat filled pastries and a very meaty hamburger filled with eggs, cheese and ham. It was tasty, but this morning I woke up with a nasty gut-wrenching sickness that makes me want to vomit all over this keyboard just thinking about it.

Today was long. We´re currently in Asuncion, Paraguay after dealing with border issues and then finding out the 5km day we had planned turned out to be a 60km ride with a hangover, the gut-wrenching sickness and without food or water - superduper-fantastic!! I´ve had enough we´re coming home!!!

HAHA ya right!! I heard it was -27C the other day...no thanks. I know if I came home now, I´d be up on a roof within a couple of weeks trying to fix something. I don´t care how sick I get, I´m waiting for the spring!

On a more pleasant note, Argentina was great! We were able to cycle hard for the last 2 weeks and the weather couldn´t have been nicer - except for that scorcher of a day. We did have a few problems with the police though. Thank the good-times for Julia´s Spanish, she was able to get us out of a few "fuzzy" situations. There was one incident where we had to grease the traffic patrol with $30 to let us go without having to pay a heftyier fine of $100 for not having the proper reflectors. Proper reflectors??!!...I was this() close from shoving my size 9 "proper" reflecter up his crooked ass!

We also saw quite a few good looking bugs, a lot of dead Armadillos(Sp?) and hundreds of small vulture-type birds hanging around the highways. Tomorrow we make plans to head up into Bolivia where we will meet my parents and then together make our way into Peru to tackle Machu Pichu(sp?). I am excited to see them and will be looking forward to another break from these bikes.











No comments: